Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. I’m interested in starting a business in the Northwest Territories – what is the first step?
A great starting point is the BDIC’s guide on How to Start a Business in the NWT. It includes information on writing a business plan, accessing available financing and grants, registering your business and navigating regulations in the territory. You can also access a wide range of information on starting, planning, financing, managing and growing a business through the Canada Business Network.
You can direct specific questions relating to doing business in your community to Canada Business NWT, toll-free, at 1-800-661-0599.
2. How do I apply for the BDIC’s financial programs?
Applicants seeking funding through the BDIC must carry on business in the Northwest Territories as one of the following:
1. An Individual or Sole Proprietorship;
2. A Partnership;
3. A Corporation registered under the NWT Business Corporations Act; or
4. A Co-Operative registered under the NWT Business Co-Operative Association Act.
Application forms for the BDIC’s financial programs can be found here. Completed credit facility application forms and related questions can be directed to your local regional agent. For more information about the BDIC’s contribution programs, please contact a business advisor.
3. How do I check out a book from the BDIC’s business library?
You can reserve a book online through the online business library and have it mailed directly to your address for free, or stop by the BDIC’s Yellowknife headquarters located in Suite 701, 5201-50th Avenue (the Northwestel Tower) to browse through the library and check out a book.
4. What is a video conference session and how do I register to participate?
Video conference sessions are interactive online presentations that cover a variety of different business topics. Participants can view presentations from the BDIC’s boardroom in Yellowknife or can request to participate from alternate locations around the territory. Participants also have the option to submit typed questions during the live session and have them answered by knowledgeable experts.
Upcoming video conference sessions are listed on the BDIC’s calendar of events. You can arrange to participate by calling 1-800-661-0599 (participants must register at least one day in advance of the session).