Chapter 1 – Canada Business NWT
Your Source for Business Information
Canada Business NWT is part of the Canada Business Network. It provides a wide range of information on government services, programs and regulations.
Canada Business NWT provides small businesses and start-up entrepreneurs with accurate, information and referrals. Canada Business NWT reduces the complexity of dealing with various levels of government by serving as a central resource for Canadian and territorial business information.
Currently, there are Business Centres in each province and territory. The centres have a growing network of partners providing access to information in communities across Canada.
Products and services
Whether you contact Canada Business NWT in person, by telephone or through the internet, you will have access to a variety of business products and services, including:
- Information officers who can direct you to a large collection of printed and online information sources.
- A web site, which offers a variety of small business information and access to a database containing information on government programs, services and regulations. The Canada Business NWT web site is www.canadabusiness.ca.
- Referrals to government departments, associations and private sector specialists.
A toll-free business information line, ready to serve clients outside of Yellowknife, at 1-800-661-0599.
- Library reference and research materials to help you with market research and business planning. Public computer workstations with internet access and popular software programs, e-readers, notebooks, printer, fax machine and a photocopier.
- Free video and web conference workshops and brown bag sessions on a wide variety of business topics.
Canada Business NWT recognizes that there are business opportunities everywhere in the NWT. We have established regional access sites at Community Futures Development Corporation offices throughout the NWT to assist you.
If you are not near one of these centres, please contact us at 1-800-661-0599 for assistance.
Services and Info
Starting a Business
Want to be your own boss?
The idea of starting your own business is appealing to a lot of people and it can be very rewarding. This information will help you plan for a successful start to your entrepreneurship journey.
- Developing your business plan
- Business name and registration
- Choosing a business structure
- Financing your business
- Checklists and guides for starting a
Growth and Innovation
Growth is the product of your success. Learn how to prepare your business for growth, to infuse it with innovation and to use the internet as a business tool.
Grants and Finances
Entrepreneurs often report that getting financing is the most challenging aspect of starting or growing a business. If you are looking for money for your business, you should start by learning about the different types of financing that are available and assessing which one is best for your needs. You can also reduce your need for loans by managing your finances effectively.
Taxes and GST
Are you trying to understand your responsibilities with regard to taxes and GST?
Learn about business tax topics, including GST, HST and PST, tax remittance, tax refunds and credits, and more.
Regulations, Licences and Permits
Learn about regulations, permits and licences that apply to your business.
- Permits and licences
- Regulations for specific
- Regulatory change
Export, Import and Foreign Investment
Discover the basics of doing business in other countries. Whether exporting, importing or investing abroad, learn how to take part in these international trade activities.
Find out how to write a business plan and access templates and sample business plans.
- Writing your business plan
- Business plans – templates
Management and Operations
The backbone of any business starts by setting goals and successfully managing the ups and downs of daily operations. In this section, you will find out how you can structure your business, manage production processes and avoid risks. It provides the tools you need to help your business succeed.
Market Research and Statistics
Discover what market research is and how to create an effective market research campaign. You will also find resources and statistics you can use to learn more about
your industry, your customers and the markets you serve. This information can ultimately help you to make informed decisions that can maximize the potential of your business.
- Conducting market research
- Labour and employment data
- Industry sector data
- Canadian economy
- International markets
- Importing and exporting
- Science and technology
- General research and statistics
Marketing and Sales
Find out how to get the word out about your company, and increase your sales.
- Marketing basics
- Promoting and advertising your business
- Sales and customer relationship management
- Selling to governments
- Marketing regulations and standards
Selling to Governments
Access billions of dollars in contracting opportunities from the federal, provincial, territorial, municipal and foreign governments.
- Benefits of doing business
- Selling to the federal government
- Selling to provincial, territorial
and municipal governments
- Selling to foreign governments
Copyright and Intellectual Property
Learn about intellectual property (IP), including patents, trademarks, copyright, industrial design and integrated circuit topographies, and how they can protect your business.
Environment and Business
Find environmental programs and resources that could impact your business – from greening your business to finding funding to become environmentally efficient.
Exiting your Business
Know your options and obligations before you exit your business, whether you are closing for good, handing over your business to friends or family, or selling it.
- Succession planning
- Closing your business
Hiring and Managing Staff
Employees are the lifeblood of your business. Learn how to recruit and manage your staff to maintain organizational vitality.